Or gateau piment. Spicy and tasty snack balls that are made with dhal and the local green chillis or piment.
This recipe comes from the tiny cookbook Know How to Cook: Mauritian Cookery which is published by Orphie Editions.
- 300g Dhal
- 3 shallots
- 1 clove garlic
- 10 green chillies
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Wash the dhal and soak in cold water for 5 hours.
- Drain and grind.
- Grind the garlic, chop the shallots and the green coriander.
- Slice the chillies fine.
- Mix everything with the ground dhal.
- Add the cumin and season with salt.
- Make small balls or flatten them by making a hole in the center.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the fritters.
- Drain on a paper towel and serve hot.