We eat tons of eggplant or aubergines on the island. These are best enjoyed with some frest tomato chutney.
- 4 good-sized Chinese or Japanese eggplant
- 1 medium purple onion, grated
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 small piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 small handful fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder (a generous pinch)
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
Cut the eggplant into small, thin discs and soak in some salted water. Mix the chickpea flour and baking powder together in a bowl. Add the ground garlic, onion, ginger and onion to the flour mixture. Mix in the beaten egg and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Heat 1/4 to 1/2 cup oil in a pan. Drain the eggplant, dip into the batter mixure and fry until brown and crispy. Drain the fritters on paper towels and serve immediately with tomato chutney and piment for dipping.