This recipe comes from 100 Easy Recipes – Mauritian Cuisine by France Lennon and published by Editions de l’Ocean Indien.
- 1 1/2 kl clean octopus
- 10 small onions
- 5 garlic cloves
- 4 whole chillies
- 2 tsp crushed mustard
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1 cup oil
- Boil the octopus for about 45 minutes in a pressure cooker.
- Open and see if it is done. It should be fairly soft. If not, add more water and let cook for about 15 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Cut in small pieces and keep aside.
- Put oil to warm the octopus in a saucepan.
- Switch off the heat and put all ingredients except the octopus in the oil.
- Allow to cool before adding the octopus.
- Do not stir with a spoon, but shake the saucepan from time to time to allow the ingredients to mix properly with the octopus.
This dish does not keep very long. It is best to consume as soon as possible.